Start your day off right with a hearty and gluten-free breakfast! Our savory veggie filled Shakshuka is just the perfect fit–it’s so versatile and easy to make, all while providing amazing nutrition and flavor combinations. You can enjoy it on busy weekday mornings, or feature it at your next weekend brunch, but whenever you choose to make it, this recipe is sure to be a hit! Plus, you get unique flavors, high protein, and crunchy vegetables all at once–for a grand cooking time of under 20 minutes. We recommend doubling (or tripling) the recipe because it goes fast, but you could also serve it with our Chocolate Chip Banana Breakfast Cookies for some added sweetness on brunch day.
Icelandic Provisions Skyr adds a thick, creamy texture that’s less tart than Greek yogurt, and more flavorful than other dairy alternatives. Icelandic Provisions use authentic Heirloom Skyr Cultures that have been treasured and preserved in Iceland for hundreds of years, which where their distinct flavor comes from. Icelandic Provisions is the only authentic Icelandic Skyr in the U.S., so go ahead and try it out for yourself! You can eat it on it’s own, or incorporate it into some recipes such as our Sparkling Apple Cider Mocktail, Pumpkin Overnight Oats, and Vanilla Cupcakes. But, however you choose to consume it, Skyr is a food product that you don’t want to miss out on!
Veggie Shakshuka with Skyr
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1- 26 ounces jar or box of strained tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 5 ounces baby spinach
- 4 large eggs, organic, cage free
- 1- 5.3-ounce container Icelandic Provisions plain skyr
- Medium-large saute pan
- Medium bowl
- Large spoon
- Rubber spatula
- Heat olive oil in a medium large saute pan over medium heat. Add onion and saute for 3-4 minutes until soft.
- Add garlic and bell pepper, and cook until soft. Mix in cumin, paprika, turmeric, and red pepper flakes, and stir until fragrant.
- Add the strained tomatoes, tomato paste, honey, red wine vinegar, and spinach. Partially cover with a lid, reduce heat, and simmer until the sauce is thickened and slightly reduced, about 10 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, spoon out ⅓ of the tomato mixture, and add in half of a container of Icelandic Provisions Skyr. Mix well, and add back into the pan, stirring well.
- Use a large spoon to impress four spaces in the sauce, and carefully crack each egg into the indentations. Cover and cook for another 2-5 minutes, or until the egg whites are just set but yolks remain jiggly.
- Serve with Icelandic Provisions plain Skyr.
*Serve with sourdough bread, pita bread, gluten free bread or your bread of choice.
*You can season with Za'atar, sea salt and pepper
*Disclosure: Triad to Wellness is a nutrition communications consultant for Icelandic Provisions. All opinions are our own. We were not compensated for this post.
Serving size: 2 eggs + 2 cups veggies Calories: 384 calories, Fat: 20 grams, Saturated fat: 5 grams, Carbohydrates: 40 grams, Sugar: 15 grams, Sodium: 445 milligrams, Fiber: 8 grams, Protein: 20 grams, Cholesterol: 415 milligrams