Treat yourself this week to our mouth-watering vanilla cupcakes! Made with skyr and flaxseed, these cupcakes are filled with wholesome ingredients and bursting with rich flavors, and they are sure to become a staple in your household! Skyr is a fabulous dairy product that originated in Iceland, and is made with only the purest ingredients. Icelandic Provisions use authentic Heirloom Skyr Cultures that have been treasured and preserved in Iceland for hundreds of years, which where their distinct flavor comes from! We love that they only use milk from responsible dairy farms, where cattle are grass-fed and well taken care of, so every drop of their milk is treated with respect. Icelandic Provisions is the only authentic Icelandic skyr in the U.S.
Skyr is a densely concentrated product, as it takes 4 cups of milk to make a single cup of skyr. This is why we love using it as a frosting for these cupcakes–its creamy consistency and rich flavors make for a healthy dessert alternative, and there are so many delicious options to choose from! Skyr comes in many different flavors, including Strawberry-Lingonberry, Blueberry & Bilberry, Raspberry, Vanilla and Coconut, so there is a perfect choice for everyone. Enjoy!
Vanilla Cupcakes with Skyr Icing
- ⅓ cup unsalted butter or coconut oil (see note)
- ⅓ cup turbinado sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup all purpose or all purpose gluten free flour mix (see note)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder (aluminum free)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt (only if using unsalted butter)
- ¼ cup flaxseed, ground
- ¼ cup plain Skyr
- ⅓ cup milk of your choice
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 - 5.3 ounce container your favorite Icelandic Provisions Skyr
- Berries, optional
- Muffin tin
- Paper liners
- Medium size bowl
- Stand mixer, or hand held mixer
- Rubber spatula
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and line a muffin pan with paper liners.
- Place the butter and sugar into a medium sized mixing bowl and cream until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs and beat until well combined.
- Add the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and flaxseed and mix until all ingredients are well combined.
- Stir in the plain skyr, milk and vanilla extract untul well combined.
- Spoon evenly into muffin liners, filling each cup about halfway. Bake for 18 minutes or until golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove from pan and place on a wire rack to cool.
- Once cupcakes are completely cooled, decorate with your favorite Icelandic Provisions Skyr and top with berries, if desired.
If using all purpose flour, you can use ½ cup all purpose flour and ½ cup white whole wheat flour for a boost of nutrition.
Turbinado Sugar is raw cane sugar with a sweet flavor from molasses.
If using salted butter then do not add ¼ teaspoon salt
Buying butter made from grass fed cows provide the highest levels of Omega 3 and Conjugated Linoleic Acid (CLA).
Disclosure: Triad to Wellness is a nutrition communications consultant for Icelandic Provisions. We were not compensated for this post.
Serving size: 1 cupcake (no icing) Calories: 135 calories, Fat: 8 grams, Saturated fat: 4 grams, Carbohydrates: 15 grams, Sugar: 6 grams, Sodium: 175 milligrams, Fiber: 2 grams, Protein: 3 grams, Cholesterol: 50 milligrams