Tacos are the ultimate family dinner, but sometimes they can be packed full of unnecessary calories and fat laden contents. That’s why we love our lightened up version of this iconic dish–filled with low fat ground turkey, hearty mushrooms, and fiber rich vegetables, it’s a meal that is sure to satisfy and satiate at the same time. In fact, a one cup serving of mushrooms provides 40 calories, 3 grams of fiber, 5 grams of protein, and 0 milligrams of cholesterol. Mushrooms are also rich in riboflavin, niacin, pantothenic acid, phosphorus, potassium, copper, and selenium. Studies have shown that niacin may help with cardiovascular disease, as it may protect the arteries and prevent hyperlipemia (excess buildup of fat in the arteries) (1), so it’s important to make sure that this vitamin is consumed on a regular basis. Serve these tacos family-style so that everyone can customize their own tacos and enjoy a healthy dinner!
Turkey & Vegetable Tacos
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 8 ounces baby bella or white mushrooms, diced
- 1 lb ground turkey meat
- 2 tablespoons ground flaxseed
- 1-15 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 4 ounce fire roasted diced green chiles or green chile salsa
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 12 taco soft corn tortillas or taco shells
- 1 small head romaine lettuce, chopped
- ½ cup cherry, grape tomatoes, diced
- 1 avocado, diced
- Heat oil in a medium-large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring, until slightly soft, then add the garlic and mushrooms and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Place ground turkey in the pan, and cook until no trace of pink remains, grounding it as it cooks.
- Add ground flaxseed, green chiles and stir in the chili powder and sea salt.
- Place six tortillas on a microwavable plate, and cover them with a damp paper towel. Microwave for 30 seconds until they are warm. Repeat in batches of six tortillas until all of the tortillas are warm.
- Serve family style so everyone can customize their taco with toppings of their choice.
Top with cheddar cheese or a Mexican cheese blend, if desired.
Serving size: 2 tacos Calories: 315 calories, Fat: 14 grams, Saturated fat: 3 grams, Carbohydrates: 33 grams, Sugar: 5 grams, Sodium: 320 milligrams, Fiber: 8 grams, Protein: 21 grams, Cholesterol: 52 milligrams
(1) Pharmacological effects of niacin on acute hyperlipemia. Current Medical Chemistry. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27063258