Dinner just became a lot more exciting with our Tandori Chicken Thighs! This recipe is bursting at the seams with fresh, unique flavors that are sure to amp up any meal. Plus, it only takes ten minutes to prepare and cook, so it’s perfect for those busy weekday nights. But you don’t need to limit this dish to a certain day–it’s also ideal for a BBQ! And don’t forget to invite your friends and family; these chicken thighs are too good not to share! Serve with some grilled asparagus, savory black beans, deviled eggs, and an appetizer dip, and you have the perfect menu that will satisfy everyone on your guest list.
We love that this recipe is as healthy as it is tasty, as eating lean poultry (such as chicken) provides you with a great source of protein, B vitamins (niacin, thiamin, riboflavin, and B6), vitamin E, iron, zinc, and magnesium. Proteins function as building blocks for bones, muscles, cartilage, skin, and blood, and are also building blocks for enzymes, hormones, and vitamins (1), so it’s important to make sure you are getting enough of it in your diet! This recipe also features Icelandic Provisions Skyr as a thick, creamy marinade for the chicken, because it’s less tart than Greek yogurt, and more flavorful than other dairy alternatives. Icelandic Provisions use authentic Heirloom Skyr Cultures that have been treasured and preserved in Iceland for hundreds of years, which where their distinct flavor comes from. Icelandic Provisions is the only authentic Icelandic Skyr in the U.S., so go ahead and try it out for yourself! You can eat it on it’s own, or incorporate it into some recipes such as our Sparkling Apple Cider Mocktail, Pumpkin Overnight Oats, and Vanilla Cupcakes. This just goes to show skyr is a versatile ingredient that will work with almost anything you pair it with! So go ahead and enjoy all of the flavors that this recipe has to offer–we promise that it’s one you will continue to cook over and over again.
Tandori Chicken Thighs
- 3 - 5.3 ounce containers Icelandic Provisions Skyr
- 2 lemons, juiced
- 2 tablespoons Garam Masala
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 1 tablespoons fresh ginger or ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 tablespoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- ½ teaspoon fenugreek
- 4-6 garlic cloves, minced
- Coconut oil cooking spray
- 1¾-2 pounds chicken thighs, boneless and skinless
- 1 lemon, cut into 6 wedges
- Medium size bowl
- Small size bowl
- Serving platter
- In a medium bowl add Icelandic Provisions Skyr and lemon juice. Mix well. Add garam masala, paprika, ginger, red pepper flakes, coriander, cumin, turmeric, fenugreek, and garlic, and whisk until well combined. Set aside.
- Place chicken in a small bowl and coat with the skyr sauce, making sure to save some extra sauce for later.
- Cover and place the chicken in the refrigerator and marinate between 5 to 60 minutes, depending on your taste preference. Note: the longer the chicken marinates, the stronger the flavors will become.
- When the chicken is ready, preheat the grill, and grease the grates with coconut oil cooking spray to prevent the chicken from sticking. Place chicken thighs on grill and cook for about 4-5 minutes. The chicken should be nicely browned and slightly charred on one side.
- Flip chicken, and spoon remaining marinade on top. Grill for another 4-5 minutes, or until chicken has reached an internal temperature of 165° Fahrenheit.
- Place the chicken on a serving platter, garnish with lemon slices, and serve.
Disclosure: Triad to Wellness is a nutrition communications consultant for Icelandic Provisions. All opinions are our own. We were not compensated for this post.
Serving size: 4 ounces Calories: 220 calories, Fat: 8 grams, Saturated fat: 2.5 grams, Carbohydrates: 7 grams, Sugar: 3 grams, Sodium: 113 milligrams, Fiber: 1 gram, Protein: 31 grams, Cholesterol: 0 milligrams
(1) Why is it important to make lean or low-fat choices from the Protein Foods Group? Choose MyPlate. http://www.choosemyplate.gov/protein-foods-nutrients-health