Tossing together a quick, satisfying, and nutritious salad bowl couldn’t get any easier than this! Just cook up the Freekeh, hard-boil some eggs, and mix in red leaf lettuce, tomatoes, avocado, and hemp hearts for a lunch that is perfect for school or work. The best part is that it tastes even better the next day, so make a few extra batches throughout the week for no-hassle, ready-made meals. This salad contains Freekeh, a Middle Eastern Whole Grain that boasts a smokey flavor and a nutty, chewy texture. In terms of nutrition, a 3/4 cup serving of cracked Freekeh has 6 grams of protein and 4 grams of fiber, which satiates for hours on end. So go ahead and explore all of the flavors that this salad bowl has to offer–it’s one that will keep you full all afternoon.
Tamari Freekeh Salad Bowl
- 2½ cups water
- 1 cup cooked Freekeh
- 4 large hard boiled eggs
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons cilantro
- 2 cups red leaf lettuce, torn in bite size pieces
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 1 large avocado or 2 small avocados, diced or sliced
- 3 tablespoons hemp hearts
- In a saucepan, add water and Freekeh. Bring both to a boil, and after one minute reduce heat to medium. Cover and simmer for 25 minutes, or until the Freekeh is tender. Place in a large bowl and set aside.
- Place eggs into saucepan, cover with water, at least 1-inch over eggs. Cover, bring to a boil, and immediately remove from heat and let stand, covered for 15 minutes. Drain and rinse until completely cool.
- in a small mixing bowl, add lemon juice, lime juice, olive oil, garlic and cilantro whisk ingredients together or shake the jar until emulsified.
- Place lettuce, tomato, avocado, hemp hearts, and cooked Freekeh in a bowl and add 2 tablespoons of salad dressing to each salad.
Be creative and use your favorite salad greens such as romaine, kale, or arugula.
Add cheese, nuts or seeds for an added nutrition boost.
Disclosure: Triad to Wellness has provided nutrition communication services for Freekeh Foods. However we were not compensated for this post. All opinions are our own.
Calories: 500 calories, Fat: 35 grams, Saturated fat: 7 grams, Carbohydrates: 30 grams, Sugar: 5 grams, Sodium: 135 milligrams, Fiber: 9 grams, Protein: 22 grams, Cholesterol: 370 milligrams