Nothing soothes the soul better than a warm, hearty soup, and it’s even better when it’s homemade! This simply satisfying vegan Sweet Potato and Apple Soup is nothing short of fabulous when served on chilly nights. Thanks to mouthwatering ingredients, such as sweet potatoes, apples, celery, and cinnamon, this is a dinner that is sure to keep you smiling all evening long. Thanks to the sweet potatoes, this recipe is packed full of potassium, magnesium, iron, calcium, manganese, and contains 400% of the daily recommended value for vitamin A (1). Sweet potatoes are also high in antioxidants and phytonutrients which may help to lower the potential health risks of heavy metals and oxygen free radicals in the body. So go ahead and enjoy this fabulous soup on one of these chilly nights!
Sweet Potato & Apple Soup
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin organic coconut oil or olive oil
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- 4 cups sweet potato, peeled & cubed
- 2 large apples (granny smith, Macintosh, gala), skinned & chopped
- 1 quart low sodium vegetable broth
- 3 cups water
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon honey
- ½ teaspoon ginger
- ⅛ – ¼ teaspoon chipotle pepper (optional)
- In a sauté pan, heat the oil. Add the onion, garlic and celery and sauté over low heat, stirring until softened about 5 minutes. Set aside when done.
- Add the sweet potato, apples, broth, water, cinnamon, honey, ginger, and chipotle, if desired, to the slow cooker.
- Transfer cooked onion mixture to slow cooker, and mix to combine.
- Cover and turn on low for about 7 hours, or low for high for 3 hours.
- Puree the soup using a hand blender. If you don’t have a hand blender puree in a blender working in batches until smooth.
- In a medium soup pot, heat the oil, and add the onion, garlic and celery. Sauté over low heat, stirring until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the potato and cook for 5 minutes. Add the apple and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Add the vegetable stock and water and bring to a simmer.
- Stir in the cinnamon, honey, ginger and chipotle, if desired. Cover partially and simmer over low heat until the fruit and vegetables are very tender, about 45 minutes.
- Serve warm.
When using a slow cooker I like to sauté the onion, garlic & celery in oil because the flavors are pronounced when sautéed in oil.
Prepare a double batch label and freeze up to 3 months. Make sure all of the air is removed upon freezing. Can be refrigerated for up to 1 week.
Puree the soup using a hand blender. If you don’t have a hand blender puree in a blender working in batches until smooth.
Serving size: 8 ounces Calories: 197 calories, Fat: 2 grams, Saturated fat: 2 grams, Carbohydrates: 41 grams, Sugar: 14 grams, Sodium: 462 milligrams, Fiber: 6 grams, Protein: 2 grams, Cholesterol: 2 milligrams
(1) White potatoes vs. Sweet Potatoes. Cleveland Clinic. http://health.clevelandclinic.org/2013/03/white-potatoes-vs-sweet-potatoes-which-is-healthier/