Spaghetti Squash with Cannellini Beans
- 1 spaghetti squash
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- ½ cup onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- ¼ cup of pine nuts
- 8 ounces of mushrooms, sliced
- 6 ounces of baby spinach
- 1 (15-ounce) can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- salt & pepper to taste
- ½ cup Mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- With a sharp knife, slice spaghetti squash lengthwise in half.
- Lay cut-side down in a baking dish filled with inch of water.
- Bake for approximately 45 minutes until the flesh of the squash is tender and the skin is easily pierced with a fork
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Stir in onion, garlic and pine nuts until onions are translucent then add mushrooms and spinach continue to stir for approximately 3 minutes until spinach is wilted. Then add beans. and tomatoes. Heat through.
- Once squash is done, allow to cool for about 10 minutes.
- Scoop the flesh from the squash into the bean mixture and use two forks to separate and fluff up the strands of squash.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Transfer to a serving bowl and add cheese.
- Serve with whole wheat french bread (approximately an additional 200 calories)
- This dish can be paired with 4 ounces of fish, chicken, tofu or lean meat to add additional 250-400 calories and an additional 15-20 grams of protein.
Serving size: 4 Calories: 550 Fat: 7 Sugar: 12 Sodium: 280 Fiber: 9 Protein: 10