Warm up your dinner menu with this hearty Sorghum Chicken Jambalaya! Perfect for any time of year, this comforting dish is the perfect blend of healthy and decadence, as the seasonings provide a unique flavor and the sorghum creates a pleasurable chewy texture. Serve this for a dinner party, family night, or weekend lunch, and we can guarantee that you won’t be disappointed! Not only does this recipe have an amazing flavor profile, but it’s also bursting with nutrition from the sorghum! Studies have shown that sorghum can reduce glucose responses, which may suggest that it could be beneficial in managing glucose and insulin levels (1). Sorghum is also naturally low in fat, sodium, and cholesterol, which makes it the perfect grain to incorporate in almost any meal you choose! It is also a great nutrition alternative to other grains, as whole grain sorghum has 5 grams of protein and 5 grams of fiber per 3/4 cup cooked serving. Therefore, it makes for a delicious nutrition booster to add to many dishes, such as our Slow Cooker Sorghum and Black Bean Chili, Asparagus and Mushroom Sorghum Risotto, Israeli Style Salad with Sorghum, and Chicken and Sorghum Vegetable Bowl. Sorghum is also the perfect grain to batch-cook with a pressure cooker (1 cup whole grain sorghum + 2 cups water = 20 minute cooking time) or a slow cooker (1 cup whole grain sorghum + 3 cups water = 4 – 5½ hours cooking time on high). For more information on sorghum, you can visit their website here.
- 2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 1 ½ pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into bite-size pieces
- Salt & black pepper to taste
- 1 each yellow onion, chopped
- 1 each green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon Cajun seasoning
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 cups whole grain sorghum, cooked
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 can (14.5 ounce) diced tomatoes, canned
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- In a large, heavy-bottomed pot over medium-high heat, add 1 tablespoon oil. Add the chicken, season lightly with salt and pepper, and brown on both sides, about 7 minutes, working in batches if necessary. Remove the chicken to a plate.
- Add the remaining tablespoon of oil and the onions, peppers, and celery, and cook until the vegetables are soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic, Cajun seasoning, cayenne, salt and pepper, and give it a stir. Stir in the sorghum. Add the chicken back to the pot, along with the broth parsley, and tomatoes, and season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, cover, and reduce the heat to a simmer.
- Cook until the liquid is absorbed and about 30 minutes.
This recipe was inspired by Chef Timothy Walker for a Sorghum Checkoff event and adapted by Triad to Wellness.
Disclaimer: Triad to Wellness has provided nutrition communication services to The Sorghum Checkoff. However, we were not compensated for this post. All opinions are our own.
Serving size: 1 Calories: 415 calories, Fat: 13 grams, Saturated fat: 3 grams, Carbohydrates: 40 grams, Sugar: 6 grams, Sodium: 580 milligrams, Fiber: 7 grams, Protein: 35 grams, Cholesterol: 0 milligrams
(1) Grain Sorghum Muffin Reduces Glucose and Insulin Responses in Men. Food and Function. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24608948