This Slow Cooked Rosemary Sage & Wild Rice Stuffing from Freekeh Foods is the perfect addition to your Thanksgiving table! The addition of wild rice and Freekeh’s rosemary sage blend to this traditional dish adds a different level of interest that will leave your taste buds wanting more. Plus, it’s made in a crockpot, so cooking on Thanksgiving morning just got a lot easier! Freekeh Foods is a USDA certified organic product, non-GMO certified, and they offer delicious varieties of ancient grains. Whole grains have been shown to reduce the risk of heart disease, lower blood pressure, and help with weight maintenance, so it’s a great idea to incorporate this tasty food category into your daily diet! Freekeh has a variety of options on their website, so go stock up on ancient grains and start cooking.
Slow Cooked Rosemary Sage Freekeh & Wild Rice Stuffing
- 1 pkg. Organic Rosemary Sage Cracked Freekeh
- 6 cups ½ inch cubes of Rye & White country style bread (3 cups each) *
- 8 ½ cups of low-sodium chicken broth *
- Salt & pepper
- 1 cup of Wild rice
- 4 Tbsp. unsalted butter *
- 1 large onion, finely diced
- 3 ribs of celery, sliced.
- 1 lb. assorted mushrooms of your choice
- 1 Tbsp. chopped, fresh Sage
- 2 tsp. chopped, fresh Thyme
- 1 Tbsp. chopped, fresh Parsley
- Cook Freekeh as directed on package. When done, stir & set aside.
- While Freekeh is cooking, preheat oven to 350°F. Spread bread cubes in a single layer on a large baking sheet. Bake until dry & golden, 15-20 minutes. Let cool.
- In a large pan, over medium heat, bring 4 cups of broth to a boil. Add 1 tsp. each of salt & pepper, then add wild rice. Stir well, cover, reduce heat & let simmer for 60 minutes. Drain off any excess liquids.
- In a skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Cook onion & celery, stirring often until tender. About 8 minutes. Raise heat to medium-high, add mushrooms & cook, stirring often until liquid evaporates. About 6 minutes. Stir in herbs, 1 tsp. salt & ½ tsp. pepper.
- Lightly coat inside of slow cooker with cooking spray. Add cooked Freekeh, wild rice, mushroom mixture, bread & remaining 1 ½ cups of broth; stir well. Cover & cook on medium setting for 1 ½ to 2 hours.
- **For a vegan dish, try using Earth Balance® Natural Buttery Spread instead of unsalted butter, veggie broth & a vegan-friendly type of bread.
Triad to Wellness has provided nutrition communication services to Freekeh Foods. However, we were not compensated for this post. All opinions are our own.