Spice up your dinner menu with our Savory Lentils and Carrots recipe! This dish is perfect to pair with your favorite salad or vegetable, as it’s satisfying, healthful, and family friendly. This recipe is filled with many wonderful spices, but the lentils are the star of the show! Not only do they offer a savory profile, they also pack a big nutritional punch, as they are a great source of protein, fiber, iron, magnesium and folate. In fact, studies have shown that their high fiber content can help lower cholesterol and prevent blood sugar spikes (1). These dried beans are also a great meat substitute, so go ahead and try them out with this recipe–we think you will be pleasantly surprised at the outcome!
Savory Lentils & Carrots
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup oniond, chopped
- 1-2 clove garlic, minced
- 1½ cup carrots, sliced
- 1 teaspoon cumin, ground
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 tablespoon mustard seed
- 2¼ cups water (vegetable broth could be used instead, if desired)
- 1 cup green or brown lentils (see note)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1½ teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- Place 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a 4 quart saucepan.
- Add onions and saute for 3-5 minutes until onions are a light golden color.
- Add garlic and saute until golden brown, then add carrots, cumin, sea salt, turmeric, and mustard seeds.
- Stir for 3-5 minutes until it smells aromatic and the mustard seeds have finished popping.
- Add water, lentils, and bay leaf to the saucepan, and increase heat until it comes to a boil.
- Lower the heat, cover, and simmer for 25-40 minutes until lentils are soft. Add more water if necessary.
- Add apple cider vinegar and mix well.
- Serve warm.
Green lentils can take 30-45 minutes to cook and are firmer than brown lentils.
Mix in 1½ - 2 cups of your favorite cooked whole grain. We like cooked whole grain sorghum!
You can serve warm or cold over a salad, or place grilled chicken, tofu, fish or steak on top of this recipe.
Serving size: ¾ cup Calories: 275 calories, Fat: 8 grams, Saturated fat: 1 gram, Carbohydrates: 38 grams, Sugar: 5 grams, Sodium: 190 milligrams, Fiber: 17 grams, Protein: 14 grams, Cholesterol: 0 milligrams
(1) Lentils. The World’s Healthiest Foods. http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=52