After a long day at work, it’s hard to get motivated to cook dinner and feed a family. Thankfully, we have you covered with this delightfully tasty one pan chicken dinner! Along with chicken, this dish features red potatoes and asparagus, which will provide your entire family with solid nutrition and happy taste buds. All you have to do is assemble the recipe, place it in the oven, and serve–it’s that easy, and that delicious.
Not only does this recipe make for a fantastic dinner, but it’s also packed full of nutrition! Eating lean poultry such as chicken provides you with a great source of protein, B vitamins (niacin, thiamin, riboflavin, and B6), vitamin E, iron, zinc, and magnesium. Proteins function as building blocks for bones, muscles, cartilage, skin, and blood, and are also building blocks for enzymes, hormones, and vitamins (1), so it’s important to make sure you are getting enough of it in your diet! A good way to calculate the amount of protein you need is to convert your weight to kilograms (weight in pounds divided by 2.2 g/kg) and multiply that number by 0.8 g/kg. So go ahead and enjoy this wonderful recipe–it’s one that is sure to keep you happy, satisfied, and relaxed on busy nights.
One Pan Chicken Dinner
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 large lemons, juiced
- 1 tablespoon rosemary
- 2 teaspoon garlic powder or 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1¾ pounds chicken breast
- 4 medium-large red potatoes (or 8 small), sliced
- 1 large Asparagus bunch, cut or snap the bottoms off
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 lemon, sliced
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- In a resealable plastic bag place olive oil, lemon juice, rosemary, and garlic, seal the bag, and shake well to combine. Place chicken in the bag with the marinade and coat the marinade over the chicken. Refrigerate for 20-30 minutes while preparing the potatoes and asparagus.
- Place parchment paper on a half sheet pan, and grease the parchment paper with 1 teaspoon olive oil.
- Place asparagus on parchment paper, and season with salt and pepper. Arrange sliced potatoes on top of asparagus.
- Lay marinated chicken breasts over the potatoes, and place the lemon slices over the chicken.
- Bake for 20 minutes and check asparagus to see if it is soft. If it is soft and slightly brown, remove from the baking sheet, place on a plate and cover with foil to keep warm.
- Place chicken and potatoes back in the oven for 10-15 minutes, or until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 F.
- Remove from oven, and serve warm.
For leftover chicken: Prepare this marinade and add the chicken to the resealable plastic bag. Label and date it to use for another time.
Calories: 465 calories, Fat: 13 grams, Saturated fat: 2 grams, Carbohydrates: 60 grams, Sugar: 5 grams, Sodium: 445 milligrams, Fiber: 7 grams, Protein: 30 grams, Cholesterol: 60 milligrams
(1) Why is it important to make lean or low-fat choices from the Protein Foods Group? ChooseMyPlate. http://www.choosemyplate.gov/protein-foods-nutrients-health