Our marinated carrots are the perfect summer snack! Marinated with herbs, and chilled overnight, these carrots are bursting with flavor that will leave you smiling for days. Carrots are teeming with vitamin A, biotin, vitamin K, fiber, potassium, vitamin C, vitamin B6, and beta-carotene, which make them a great snacking option. In fact, some studies have even shown that carrots can be beneficial with fighting cardiovascular disease, due to the antioxidants present (1), so go ahead and start munching!
Marinated Carrot Sticks
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 3 quarts water
- 1 pound carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1 cup water
- 4 ounces apple cider vinegar
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- Fill a 4-quart saucepan with water and sea salt and bring to a boil.
- Add carrots and blanch for 2-3 minutes. Drain in a colander and rinse under cold water to prevent further cooking.
- Place water, apple cider vinegar, and oregano in a mason jar, and add the carrots.
- Cover and chill for at least 8 hours. This will help enhance the flavors!
- Label and date the mason ball jar. These carrots can be refrigerated up to 3 weeks.
You can spice the carrots up by adding red pepper flakes or cayenne pepper.
Calories: 40 calories, Fat: 0 grams, Saturated fat: 0 grams, Carbohydrates: 10 grams, Sugar: 4 grams, Sodium: 360 milligrams, Fiber: 3 grams, Protein: 1 gram, Cholesterol: 0 milligrams
(1) Role of Antioxidants for the Treatment of Cardiovascular Diseases: Challenges and Opportunities. Current Pharmaceutical Design. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26234792