Easy to eat, rich in flavor, and high in protein, hummus is a snack that almost everyone loves! Made from garbanzo beans (also known as chick peas), hummus offers a unique flavor that pairs well with anything, including vegetables or whole wheat crackers. Garbanzo beans are rich in fiber, which increases satiety, as well as folate, iron, magnesium, phosphorus, potassium, copper, and manganese. Studies have even shown that eating ½ cup of these beans every day could be helpful in maintaining blood sugar control! So go ahead and enjoy the health benefits (and big flavors!) that hummus offers—it’s a great way to snack without feeling any guilt. We especially love our recipe for hummus; it’s quick and easy to make, and it stores for up to four days. Give it a try–your taste buds will thank you later!
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 tablespoons tahini (sesame seed butter)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 can (15oz) chickpeas, drained, rinsed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons water
- ¼ teaspoon cumin, ground
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 3 chick peas
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Drizzle of olive oil
- Place garlic in a food processor, high speed blender or Nutri Bullet and blend on high until garlic is minced. Add tahini and lemon juice until combined.
- Add chickpeas, olive oil, water, cumin, and sea salt to the tahini and lemon juice mixture, and blend until smooth.
- Top with chickpeas, cayenne pepper, paprika or olive oil (optional).
Picky eaters might prefer simple hummus without Tahini (which is nut and seed free).
Using Pantry Staples:
Roasted Red Bell Pepper Hummus: Add ⅓ cup of roasted red bell pepper to the mixture.
Sun Dried Tomtato Hummus: add ¼ cup of sun-dried tomatoes.
Olive Hummus: add ¼ cup olive tapenade or Greek pitted olives.
Curry Hummus: add 1-2 teaspoons of curry powder.
Note: Hummus can be stored in a sealed container in the refrigerator for 4 days.
Serving size: 11-2 Tablespoon portions Calories: 80 Fat: 4 grams, Saturated fat: .05 grams, Carbohydrates: 8 grams, Sugar: .05 grams, Sodium: 65 milligrams, Fiber: 2 grams, Protein: 3 grams, Cholesterol: 0 grams,