Chocolate lovers rejoice–we have created the perfect combination of decadence and nutritional excellence with these flourless black bean brownie bites! You don’t have to feel bad eating these tasty morsels, as they have 4 grams of fiber and protein per serving, and are bite sized for easy consumption. Thanks to the black beans, these brownies are rich in folate, fiber, copper, manganese, vitamin B1, protein, and iron, and studies have even showed that consuming black beans may help regulate blood sugar due to the high amount of protein and fiber (1). With all of these nutrition benefits, it’s hard to say no to these delicious brownies! Try them for yourself this weekend–you can thank us later.
Flourless Black Bean Brownie Bites
- 3 tablespoons flax seeds
- ½ cup + 1 tablespoon water
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- 1- 15 oz can black beans, rinsed & drained
- ⅓ cup sorghum syrup or maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ¾ cup cocoa powder
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ⅛ - ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional--it brings out the chocolate flavor)
- ⅓ cup chocolate chunks
- ¼ cup pecans or your choice of nuts, optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Lightly grease a standard 12 cup muffin pan using a small amount of coconut oil.
- Put together a flax egg by adding flax seeds and 1 tablespoon water in a small bowl, mix well. Let it sit until it thickens.
- In a food processor add the coconut oil, black beans, sorghum syrup, flax egg (from previous step), cocoa powder, baking powder, cinnamon, sea salt, and cayenne pepper, and puree until smooth. If necessary, scrape sides until everything is well mixed.
- Add ¼ cup of chocolate chunks to the batter and mix in by hand.
- Pour ¼ cup of batter into each muffin tin.
- Sprinkle the remaining chocolate chunks and pecans, if desired, on top of the batter.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the tops are dry and the edges shrink.
- Remove from oven and cool for 25-30 minutes before removing from pan.
- Serve warm.
Store in an airtight container for a few days, and or refrigerate up to 5 days.
Serving size: 1 brownie Calories: 150 calories, Fat: 9 grams, Saturated fat: 6 grams, Carbohydrates: 20 grams, Sugar: 8 grams, Sodium: 60 milligrams, Fiber: 4 grams, Protein: 4 grams, Cholesterol: 0 milligrams
(1) Black Beans. The World’s Healthiest Foods. http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=2
Triad to Wellness has provided nutrition communication services to The Sorghum Checkoff. However, we were not compensated for this post. All opinions are our own.