Our Creamy Broccoli and Avocado Soup is the perfect way to use up those extra broccoli stems that most people tend to discard. This is a delicious soup that has a decadent taste and creamy consistency while still providing a nutritional punch and easy cook time. Using broccoli stems in place of florets gives a mild broccoli flavor, but they are also rich in vitamins A, C, and K, folate, selenium, and fiber. This recipe also incorporates avocado, as this fruit provides a silky smooth texture that is common in other high caloric soups. Avocados are high in omega-3 fatty acids, which are extremely beneficial for overall health, and are also rich in vitamins B6, C, E, and K, riboflavin, niacin, folate, pantothenic acid, fiber, potassium, copper, and manganese. Incorporating these nutrients into your diet is a great way to boost your overall health and keep you feeling fuller longer! So go ahead and try out this fabulous soup—it’s sure to warm you up on a chilly winter night, and provide you with beneficial nutrients to make sure you feel your very best!
Creamy Broccoli & Avocado Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2-3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup celery, diced (approximately 3 stalks)
- 4 cups broccoli stalks peeled and chopped
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- ½-1 teaspoon curry powder to taste
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 4 cups water
- 1 avocado, medium
- 3 teaspoons lime or lemon juice
- 1 ½ tablespoons Pumpkin seeds for garnish (optional)
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin seeds and/or broccoli florets for garnish (optional)
- Heat olive oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Add onion, stir and cook until soft, about 4 minutes, then add garlic and cook until lightly browned.
- Add celery and cook for another 3 minutes. Add broccoli and cook for another 2 minutes.
- While continuing to stir the broccoli mixture, add the thyme, curry powder and sea salt. Incorporate well.
- Add water and bring to a boil and cook, covered, until bright green and tender, about 20 minutes. Remove from heat, and let cool slightly.
- Transfer soup to blend in a high-speed blender and puree with avocado and 3 teaspoons of lime or lemon juice. An immersion blender or traditional blender may also work.
- Pour blended soup into serving bowls.
- Garnish with pumpkin seeds and/or broccoli florets.
If using a standard blender to purée the soup, fill the container halfway while leaving the hole in the lid open and covered loosely with a dishtowel. This will allow the heat to escape.
Serving size: 1 cup Calories: 113 Fat: 6 g Saturated fat: 1 g Carbohydrates: 13 g Sugar: 1 g Sodium: 253 mg Fiber: 2 g Protein: 5 g Cholesterol: 0 mg