Dinner is made easy with our Creamy Beet and Lentil Soup! Not only is this meal easy to create, but it’s full of nutritious ingredients like olive oil, potatoes, red lentils, and beets. In fact, beets are rich in vitamin C, fiber, and essential minerals like potassium (essential for healthy nerve and muscle function) and manganese (which is good for your bones, liver, kidneys, and pancreas). Beets also contain the B vitamin folate, which helps reduce the risk of birth defects (1). So the next time you want to make a fast, nutritious meal, go ahead and try this recipe out! It’s one that will leave you and your family full and satisfied for hours.
Creamy Beet & Lentil Soup
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 onions, diced
- 1 bunch of beets and beet stems
- 1 Idaho potato, peeled and diced
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 2 cups water
- 4 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- ¼ cup red lentils
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ¼ cup yogurt, optional
- 1 tablespoon dill, optional
- Heat the oil in a soup pot over medium heat.
- Add the onions, and sauté until translucent.
- Add the beets, beet stems, potato, and sea salt, stirring periodically.
- Cook for about 5 minutes, then add water, broth and red lentils. Simmer until the lentils and the potatoes are soft, about 10-13 minutes, then add the lemon juice.
- When done, remove from stove and let cool.
- Place the soup in a high speed blender and purée until smooth. You can also use a standard blender, as long as the soup is divided into batches. This will make it easier to blend.
- Pour blended soup into bowls and serve.
- Garnish with yogurt and dill as desired.
You could use sour cream instead of yogurt.
Serving size: 2 cups Calories: 225 calories, Fat: 7 grams, Saturated fat: 1 gram, Carbohydrates: 35 grams, Sugar: 6 grams, Sodium: 360 milligrams, Fiber: 8 grams, Protein: 5 grams, Cholesterol: 0 milligrams
1. Lack of periconceptional vitamins supplements that contain folic acid and diabetes mellitus–associated birth defects. Science Direct. http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0002937811024227