Breakfast is the most important meal of the day, yet sometimes we fall into a rut trying to decide what we should have that is going to fuel our bodies with solid nutrition and still taste delicious. This is why we love using Daisy Cottage Cheese for our breakfast meals—it’s packed full of protein, calcium, and vitamins that will keep you full till noon! For this particular recipe, we like to top off the cottage cheese with a cranberry sauce and pecans for a nice crunch and second nutritional punch. The antioxidants and fatty acids present in these toppings will start your morning off right and leave you smiling throughout the day! So go ahead and try out this delicious Cottage Cheese Parfait with Cranberry Sauce and Pecans—we promise that you won’t be disappointed with this gorgeous dish!
Cottage Cheese Parfait with Cranberry Sauce & Pecans
- ¾ cup water
- 1 tablespoons sorghum syrup or maple syrup
- ⅛ - ¼teaspoon ginger
- ¾ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 medium pear, peeled and diced (2 apples could be used instead)
- 1 cup fresh cranberries (frozen can be used as well--just thaw before cooking)
- 2 cups Daisy cottage cheese
- 2 tablespoons pecans (whole or chopped)
- In a medium saucepan, combine water, sorghum syrup, ginger, cinnamon, pears and cranberries.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes or until the cranberries have popped and sauce is slightly thickened. Stir several times to prevent sticking. When done, let cool.
- Place the mixture into a blender, food processor, high speed blender or NutriBullet and blend until smooth. Set aside.
- In a parfait glass or bowl, layer ½ cup cottage cheese, ¼ cup cranberry-pear sauce, ½ cup cottage cheese, 1 ½ tablespoons of cranberry-pear sauce, and chopped pecans.
- Decorate with the remaining pecans and spread them over the cottage cheese for a pretty display.
If you are making this parfait for one person you can cover and refrigerate the remaining cranberry sauce for another parfait.
Serving size: 4 Calories: 240 Fat: 12 g Saturated fat: 2 g Carbohydrates: 20 g Sugar: 10 g Sodium: 350 mg Fiber: 4 g Protein: 15 g Cholesterol: 10 mg
Triad to Wellness has provided nutrition communication services to The Sorghum Checkoff and Daisy Brand. However, we were not compensated for this post. All opinions are our own.