Our Cilantro Cole Slaw with Citrus Dressing is the perfect addition to your Meatless Monday menu! With crisp flavors, refreshing vegetables, and easy preparation time, this recipe is sure to be a hit in no time. It pairs well with so many dishes, but it’s also delicious when eaten alone, so go ahead and dig in!
A meatless lifestyle has gained in popularity over the past ten years, and there is little doubt as to why that is, as studies have shown that going meatless one day out of the week may reduce the risk of chronic, preventable diseases like cancer, cardiovascular disease, diabetes, and obesity (1). While many people think that cutting out meat full time is unattainable, it’s easier to start off small and cut meat out once a week. This is why we love this cole slaw–not only is it delicious, but it’s also 100% plant-based. It’s a great way to make the transition into eating more plants and less meat, both for the good of your health and the planet’s.
Cilantro Cole Slaw with Citrus Dressing
- 3 cups grated green cabbage
- 2 cups grated red cabbage
- 1 cup grated carrots
- 1 small avocado or ½ large avocado
- 1 orange, juiced
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 5 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- 1 tablespoons water
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- In a large bowl place the green cabbage, red cabbage and carrots with 3 tablespoons of chopped cilantro.
- In a blender, high speed blender or single serve blender container, add avocado, orange juice, lime juice, 2 tablespoons cilantro, water and garlic. Blend until smooth.
- If the mixture seems too thick you can add 1-3 teaspoons of water until smooth.
- Add the dressing to the cabbage mixture until well combined.
- Serve immediately or seal the container tightly and refrigerate before serving.
Once prepared salt can be added (to taste), but adding salt to the dressing will draw some water from the cabbage and make it watered down.
Calories: 80 calories, Fat: 4 grams, Saturated fat: 0.5 grams, Carbohydrates: 12 grams, Sugar: 6 grams, Sodium: 33 milligrams, Fiber: 4 grams, Protein: 2 grams, Cholesterol: 0 milligrams
(1) Why Meatless? Meatless Monday. http://www.meatlessmonday.com/about-us/why-meatless/