Our decadent Chocolate Hazelnut Spread is the perfect addition to your kitchen pantry! This luscious spread is the ideal topping for almost anything you desire–just layer it on toast, waffles, or pancakes for an indulgent breakfast, or add it to your yogurt, cottage cheese or smoothies for an added creamy consistency. The best part about this spread is that it’s full of antioxidants! Thanks to the chocolate, this recipe provides a healthy dose of flavanols, which research has shown to potentially improve vascular health (i.e. lowering blood pressure, and improving blood flow to the brain and heart) and help make blood platelets less likely to clot (1). In addition to the chocolate, we have added hemp hearts to this spread. These will help increase the overall nutrition content, as well as provide a slight nutty flavor that will complement the hazelnuts. Hemp hearts are rich in vitamins, minerals and fiber, and contain 10 grams of protein and 10 grams of omegas per 30 gram serving (3 tablespoons). So go ahead and try out this tasty recipe–we hope you enjoy!
Chocolate Hazelnut Spread
- 2½ cups unroasted hazelnuts, raw or roasted
- 4 ounces 70% dark chocolate, melted
- ½ cup hemp seeds
- ½ teaspoon pink Himalayan or sea salt
- 4 tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Baking sheet
- Large kitchen towel
- Double boiler
- High speed blender
- Ball jars
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Add hazelnuts to a baking sheet in a single layer. If using raw hazelnuts, roast for 12-15 minutes. If already roasted, roast for 8-10 minutes.
- Remove hazelnuts from oven and cool slightly. Transfer to a large kitchen towel and use your hands to roll the nuts around and remove most of the skins.
- Add the skinless hazelnuts to a high speed blender. Blend on low until a butter is formed - about 8-10 minutes total - scraping down sides as needed.
- Heat the chocolate over a double boiler or in the microwave in about 30 second increments until melted. Set aside.
- When the hazelnut spread is creamy and smooth, add the melted chocolate, hemp seeds, sea salt, coconut oil and vanilla. Blend until mixed together.
- Transfer to a airtight preferably glass container and store at room temperature for about 2-4 weeks.
Disclaimer: Triad to Wellness has provided nutrition communication services to Manitoba Harvest. However, we were not compensated for this post. All opinions are our own.
Serving size: 2 tablespoons Calories: 160 calories, Fat: 14 grams, Saturated fat: 4 grams, Carbohydrates: 7 grams, Sugar: 4 grams, Sodium: 50 milligrams, Protein: 4 grams, Cholesterol: 0 milligrams
(1) Heart Health Benefits of Chocolate. Cleveland Clinic. http://my.clevelandclinic.org/services/heart/prevention/nutrition/food-choices/benefits-of-chocolate