Spice up your dinner menu with our Chicken Jambalaya! While this is a traditional dish served during Mardis Gras, you can eat it any time of the year thanks to the unique, fiery flavors and solid nutrition content. This savory jambalaya is perfect for a weekend dinner party, as the hearty textures and piquant tastes are sure to leave a resounding impact on your guests. Are you concerned that it may be too hot? No worries! When paired with Skyr, the coolness calms down the peppery cajun seasonings and creates a pleasurable experience that will satisfy even the most heat-sensitive of people.
Using Icelandic Provisions Skyr in this recipe adds a thick, creamy texture that’s less tart than Greek yogurt, and more flavorful than other dairy alternatives. Icelandic Provisions use authentic Heirloom Skyr Cultures that have been treasured and preserved in Iceland for hundreds of years, which where their distinct flavor comes from. Icelandic Provisions is the only authentic Icelandic Skyr in the U.S., so go ahead and try it out for yourself! You can eat it on it’s own, or incorporate it into some recipes such as our Sparkling Apple Cider Mocktail, Pumpkin Overnight Oats, and Vanilla Cupcakes. But, however you choose to consume it, Skyr is a food product that you don’t want to miss out on!
Cajun-infused Andouille Chicken Sausage
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1½ pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into 1" cubes
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon Kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper, ground
- 1 -12 ounce package andouille chicken sausage, cut into ¼" slices
- 1 cup onions, chopped
- 1-2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup red bell peppers, chopped
- 8 ounces Crimini mushrooms, sliced
- 2 teaspoons Cajun seasoning (depending on your spice meter)
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- ½ cup water
- 2 bay leaves
- 6 cups long-grain brown rice, cooked
- 1-2 5.3 ounce container plain Icelandic Provisions Skyr
- ½-1 lemon, juiced
- 1-2 scallions, for garnish
- Dutch Oven
- Wooden spoon
- Small bowl
- Place a dutch oven over medium heat, and heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in the pan.
- Season chicken with garlic powder, salt, and black pepper. Place the chicken into the pan, and sear each side for 2 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove the chicken from the pan and place it on a plate. Set aside.
- In the same pan, add the chopped andouille sausage and cook until lightly brown. When done, add the sausage to the same plate as the chicken, and set aside.
- In the same pan, add the remaining olive oil, and saute the onions for 3-4 minutes, or until soft. Add garlic and saute until golden brown, then add bell peppers, mushrooms, and 1½ teaspoon of the Cajun seasoning. With a wooden spoon, stir the vegetables for about 5-10 minutes, or until they caramelize.
- Add tomato sauce, water, bay leaves, chicken and sausage. Combine all ingredients, and cook for another 20-25 minutes, stirring periodically. Note: chicken is done once the internal temperature reaches 165 F.
- After 20 minutes, add the cooked rice and stir to combine. Remove the pot from the heat and let stand, covered, for 5 minutes.
- While the above mixture cools, create the Skyr topping. Place plain Icelandic Provisions Skyr, lemon juice and ½ teaspoon Cajun seasoning in a small bowl, and combine well.
- To serve, remove the bay leaves, and top with scallions and the Skyr mixture.
*For added flavor, serve over whole grain sorghum.
*Triad to Wellness is a consultant for Icelandic Provisions and The Sorghum Checkoff. We were not compensated for this post; all opinions are our own.
Serving size: 1⅓ cup Calories: 435 calories, Fat: 15 grams, Saturated fat: 3 grams, Carbohydrates: 45 grams, Sugar: 6 grams, Sodium: 485 milligrams, Fiber: 4 grams, Protein: 30 grams, Cholesterol: 30 milligrams