Recipe by Melissa Enos, Nutrition Communication Intern
Bulgur Salad with Apples and Pecans
Serves: 4 servings
- 1 cup bulgur, uncooked
- 1/8 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small red apple, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1/3 cup fresh blueberries
- 2 tablespoons dried cranberries, no added sugar
- ½ cup non fat Greek yogurt
- 4 cups lettuce
- 4 tablespoons chopped pecans
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- In a large saucepan, boil water. Once boiling, add bulgur and salt (optional); stir and let sit for 7 minutes. Drain excess water.
- Add olive oil, mix, and let bulgur cool slightly.
- In a separate bowl, gently combine bulgur, apple, blueberries, dried cranberries and Greek yogurt.
- Refrigerate for one hour
- Line each serving bowl with 1 cup lettuce and top with bulgur mixture.
- Top each serving with 1 tablespoon pecans and ¼ teaspoon lemon zest.
Serving size: 1/2 cup Calories: 267 calories, Fat: 9 grams, Saturated fat: 1 gram, Carbohydrates: 40 grams, Sugar: 7 grams, Sodium: 184 milligrams, Fiber: 8 grams, Protein: 10 grams, Cholesterol: 0 milligrams
By adding salt to the dish, the flavor of the bulgur is enhanced.