Recipe by Melissa Enos, Nutrition Communication Intern
Breakfast Bulgur Parfait
Serves: 2 servings
- 1/2 cup bulgur, uncooked
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 cup non fat yogurt
- 6 medium strawberries, sliced
- ¼ cup blueberries
- ½ teaspoon lemon zest
- In a large bowl, add bulgur to boiling water; stir and let sit for 7 minutes; drain excess water.
- Layer ¼ cup yogurt at the bottom of each glass
- Add ¼ cup layer of cooled bulgur to each glass
- Add slices of one strawberry to the next layer and repeat two more times
- Finish off each parfait with a dollop of remaining yogurt, blueberries and lemon zest
Serving size: 1 parfait Calories: 207 calories, Fat: 1 gram, Saturated fat: 0 grams, Carbohydrates: 43 grams, Sugar: 13 grams, Sodium: 81 milligrams, Fiber: 7 grams, Protein: 10 grams, Cholesterol: 3 milligrams
Substitute half of the bulgur for oatmeal to increase texture and flavor.[br][br]Bulgur will double in size when cooked.