Indulge yourself with this delightfully sweet, yet healthy, breakfast “pizza”! With the addition of cashews, hemp hearts, coconut, almond butter, sorghum syrup, and fresh berries, this tasty recipe is sure to leave your taste buds wanting more. Not only is this “pizza” decadent, but it’s also heart healthy, thanks to the whole grain oats present in the crust. Studies have shown that a diet rich in whole grains may result in a lower risk of stroke, heart disease, type 2 diabetes, colorectal cancer, asthma, and gum disease (1), so it’s important to include all types of these grains in your diet. It’s recommended to have three servings of whole grains every day, so go ahead and get your fill by enjoying this flavorful recipe!
Berry & Cashew Cream Breakfast "Pizza"
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon sorghum syrup or maple syrup
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¾ teaspoon cinnamon
- Dash of sea salt
- 1 ½ cups rolled oats
- 1½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅓ cup hemp hearts
- ⅓ cup shredded coconut
- ¾ teaspoon almond extract
- ½ cup almond butter
- 2 Tablespoons sorghum syrup or maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- 3 cups sliced strawberries
- 1 cup blueberries
- Add cashews, water, sorghum syrup, vanilla extract, cinnamon and sea salt to either a high speed blender.
- Blend for 1 to 2 minutes, or until creamy.
- If it seems too thick add an additional tablespoon of water.
- Set cashew cream aside.
- Preheat oven to 340 °F
- Lightly grease a 11" fluted pie pan with a removable bottom.
- In a medium size bowl, mix all dry ingredients together. Set aside.
- In another medium sized mixing bowl, combine all wet ingredients and add to dry ingredients mix well.
- Place the dough in the pie pan and use the back of a spoon to press down the dough evenly over the pan and the sides.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes, or until lightly browned.
- Cool for 30 minutes.
- Using the back of a spatula, spread a thin layer of the cashew cream over the crust.
- Top with strawberries and blueberries.
If you have a almond allergy use sunflower seed butter instead of almond butter and use vanilla extract instead of almond extract.
Cashews should be soaked overnight or for at least 2 hours, or boil the cashews for 20 minutes until soft then rinse them with cold water.
Calories: 475 calories, Fat: 30 grams, Saturated fat: 6 grams, Carbohydrates: 40 grams, Sugar: 12 grams, Sodium: 80 milligrams, Fiber: 9 grams, Protein: 16 grams, Cholesterol: 0 milligrams
(1) What are the health benefits of whole grains? http://wholegrainscouncil.org/whole-grains-101/what-are-the-health-benefits
Triad to Wellness has provided nutrition communication services to Sorghum Checkoff and Manitoba Harvest. However, we were not compensated for this post. All opinions are our own.