Perfect for a weekend party treat, our Tortilla Crusted Avocado Fries are sure to be a hit anywhere you choose to serve them. You can pair them with your favorite beverage, serve them as an appetizer, or eat them as a snack, but we know one thing–no matter how you choose to eat these tasty morsels, there won’t be any left once you start!
Avocados provide nearly 20 essential nutrients, including fiber, potassium, vitamin E, B-vitamins, and folic acid, and they also act as a “nutrient booster” by enabling the body to absorb more fat-soluble nutrients, such as alpha and beta-carotene and lutein, in foods that are eaten with the fruit (1). You can also use avocado as a butter or fat substitute, as it may help reduce dietary intake of saturated fat, calories, sodium, and cholesterol (2). So go ahead and enjoy avocados in this wonderful recipe–the flavors and crunchy textures are sure to keep you coming back for more!
Baked Tortilla Crusted Avocado Fries
- ⅔ cup ground tortilla chips
- 1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon lime juice + half lime cut in wedges to sprinkle on the fries
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 medium avocados, sliced
- Preheat oven to 425 F degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper
- Place tortillas chips in a resealable bag and crush them until the consistency is similar to panko bread crumbs. You can also use a food processor for this. Once they are to the proper texture, place them on a large plate.
- In a shallow bowl, add the vinegar, lime juice, olive oil and garlic powder. Whisk until emulsified.
- Place a few slices of avocado at a time into the lime juice mixture.
- Coat each slice of avocado with the tortilla chips so as to fully cover it, and place each slice of tortilla coated avocado on the baking sheet.
- Bake the avocado slices for approximately 13 minutes, or until lightly golden.
- Using a spatula transfer the avocado slices onto a serving platter, and drizzle remaining lime juice over the avocado fries.
- Serve immediately.
This recipe could easily be doubled for a crowd.
Serving size: 2 fries Calories: 120 calories, Fat: 8 grams, Saturated fat: 1 gram, Carbohydrates: 10 grams, Fiber: 2 grams, Protein: 1.5 grams, Cholesterol: 0 milligrams
(1) Avocado nutrition facts. California Avocados. http://www.californiaavocado.com/nutrition
(2) Avocados as a butter or fat substitute. California Avocados. http://www.californiaavocado.com/nutrition/smart-substitutions