Start your mornings off right with our Baked Freekeh and Sunny-Side Up Eggs! This is the perfect mixture of protein, complex carbohydrates, and nutrients to get you ready for the day. We love this hearty meal for many reasons, but mainly because it has Freekeh, which is a whole grain that contains a smokey flavor and a nutty, chewy texture. Using Freekeh in conjunction with eggs, tomatoes, and spices provides a unique sweet and salty combination that we love! In terms of nutrition, a 3/4 cup serving of cracked Freekeh has 6 grams of protein and 4 grams of fiber, which satiates and keeps you full all morning. So go ahead and begin your day with this delightfully tasty, satisfying meal! It’s one that you and your family are sure to love.
Baked Freekeh & Sunny-Side Up Eggs
- 2 ½ cups water
- 1 cup freekeh
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup diced cherry or grape tomatoes
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- 3 tablespoons Parmesan cheese
- 6 large eggs
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Boil water and add 1 cup of freekeh. Lower heat to medium-low and cover pot with a lid. Let the freekeh simmer for about 20 minutes or until water is absorbed. Remove from stove and set aside.
- In a large saute pan, add 1 tablespoon + 2 teaspoons olive oil over medium heat. Add onions and garlic, and sauté until lightly brown.
- Add the mushrooms and sauté for 3-5 minutes until mushrooms are soft and lightly browned. Add tomatoes, salt, pepper, basil, parsley, and Parmesan cheese, and stir well. Remove from the stove and combine with cooked Freekeh.
- Lightly grease a baking dish with 1 teaspoon olive oil, and transfer the Freekeh mixture into the baking dish.
- Make six indentations where you would crack the eggs. Crack an egg into each indentation then place in the oven for 20-35 minutes until the egg whites are set but the yolks are still yellow.
- Serve warm.
Serve this with hot sauce or Sriracha sauce
For a creamier casserole, add 1 cup of milk to the freekeh vegetable mixture.
Disclosure: Triad to Wellness has provided nutrition communication services for Freekeh Foods. However, we were not compensated for this post. All opinions are our own.
Serving size: 1 Calories: 241 calories, Fat: 11 grams, Saturated fat: 3 grams, Carbohydrates: 23 grams, Sugar: 3 grams, Sodium: 320 milligrams, Fiber: 4 grams, Protein: 15 grams, Cholesterol: 210 milligrams