Welcome a festive dish into your kitchen with our Apple and Cranberry Crisp! These ingredients are a classic flavor combination, and make it the perfect dessert for almost any occasion. Fresh cranberries offer the greatest amount of antioxidants, and provide a rich source of vitamin C and dietary fiber, which make them a great item to cook with! Cranberries are in season October through December, so when searching for the perfect batch, look for cranberries that present a deep red color and are firm to the touch.
Growing evidence suggests that the flavonoid-rich cranberry has the potential ability to limit the development and severity of certain cancers and vascular diseases including atherosclerosis, ischemic stroke, and neurodegenerative diseases of aging (1). Cranberries contain a variety of phytochemicals that could contribute to these protective effects, including flavonoids such as anthocyanins, flavonols, and proanthocyanidins (1), so it’s a great reason to include this item in your cooking!
Serving this recipe with Icelandic Provisions Skyr adds a boost of protein to this delicious dessert. Skyr is an Icelandic dairy product made with authentic Heirloom Skyr Cultures that creates a thick, creamy texture that’s less tart than Greek yogurt. Skyr is a great protein source to add to recipes, which is why we enjoy our Pumpkin Overnight Oats with Skyr, Vanilla Cupcakes with Skyr Icing, and Skyr Filled Jack O’Lantern Oranges. Enjoy!
Apple & Cranberry Crisp
- 2 pounds apples (mixture of gala & or granny smith apples), peeled & sliced
- 1 cup cranberries
- ¼ cup maple syrup or sorghum syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon cardamom (optional)
- ⅓ cup quick cooking oats
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ cup all purpose flour or gluten free flour
- 3 tablespoons hemp seeds
- 2 tablespoons turbinado sugar
- ¼ cup coconut oil or grass-fed butter, chopped into large chunks
- ¼ cup chopped pecans (optional)
- Pie plate or 8" square pan
- Parchment paper
- Two mixing bowls
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line a 9½" pie plate or 8’inch square baking dish with parchment paper.
- Place apples, cranberries, maple syrup, vanilla extract, cinnamon, ginger, and cardamom in a mixing bowl and stir together until well combined. Set aside.
- In a small mixing bowl add oats, cinnamon, flour, hemp seeds and turbinado sugar, and mix together well. Sprinkle the coconut oil over the topping and sprinkle with pecans if desired.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes or until topping is golden brown and apples and cranberries are soft.
- Serve with Icelandic Provisions Skyr, if desired.
Skyr is Greek yogurts cousin, as it is thick, creamy, and rich in protein. It pairs well with this recipe!
Disclaimer: Triad to Wellness is a nutrition communications consultant for Icelandic Provisions. We were not compensated for this post.
Serving size: 1 slice Calories: 220 calories, Fat: 9.5 grams, Saturated fat: 5 grams, Carbohydrates: 30 grams, Sugar: 13 grams, Sodium: 6 milligrams, Fiber: 5 grams, Protein: 4 grams, Cholesterol: 0 milligrams
(1) Neto CC. Cranberry and Blueberry; evidence for protective effects against cancer and vascular diseases. Mol Nutr Food Res. 2007 Jun;51(6):652-64. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17533651